Diarrhea control in older adults, nutritional recommendations.
Our older adults are very vulnerable to stomach diseases and need timely and efficient care. Let us turn to the experts to take care of them. It is very common that at our grandparents’ age, any food or drink may not suit well and can damage their belly. It is so common that all factors intervene without us realizing it…
It can influence the way we wash our dishes and cutlery, as well as the dishes in the kitchen. An old or decomposed product, oils and the way we wash vegetables and fruits also play a role. It is also very common for the weather to influence and especially the mood of the grandparents.
The important thing is to reduce risks to zero and everything that can cause diarrhea in our older adults. Therefore, we recommend the following:
- Grilled, boiled and steamed food.
- Rice, cooked oatmeal, corn (tortilla), cooked potato, wheat (box bread, bolillo, pasta).
- Lactose-free and skim milk, yogurt (probiotics), atole (rice, oatmeal, dough).
- Water jello.
- Rice water.
Limit intake of:
Insoluble fiber (peels, seeds, vegetables and raw fruit).
Avoid stimulants like:
- Fat, longaniza, pork rinds, bacon, butter, battered, breaded and fried.
- Avoid sweet drinks.
- Avoid consuming whole milk.
- Avoid coffee.
Taking an oral hydration solution like serums. Keeping our grandparents hydrated when there is a case of diarrhea is essential; otherwise, it could be serious and fatal in some cases.
They should consult a doctor immediately.